27 July 2009

Reflection on Graduate Life

The NYT did a recent section highlighting stories of transformation from higher education, and one of the stories came from a graduate student in humanities. Money quote:

On bad days, I lose all faith. I wonder if I will ever be part of a world where an education in the humanities matters, and if Southeast Asian art is relevant to anyone. I look around at friends who are married, have children, have pets, have real furniture, and I wonder if, having spent the last five years dedicated to my studies, I have made the worst decision of my life. Thankfully, these days are few.

Being on the other side of the dissertation and job search process (barely!), the piece helped give me posterity to the struggles and doubts of grad school life. Big ups to all those who are out their, still fighting the good fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment